Some of the services we provide include:
  • Location of non-custodial parents and their sources of income (including employers)
  • Establishment of paternity, child support, and medical support orders
  • Establishment and modification of support and medical orders
  • Registration of other state's orders for child support enforcement or modification
  • Enforcement of child support and medical orders

Child Support Services uses a variety of methods to enforce support orders. We can:

  • Direct employers to withhold a portion of wages
  • Request federal and state tax refunds be intercepted
  • Administratively levy against accounts at financial institutions
  • Garnish wages and assets
  • Restrict the issuance of drivers' licenses or suspend drivers' licenses
  • Make referrals to credit agencies
  • Obtain contempt of court orders against delinquent payors

Who is eligible to receive services from Child Support Services?

Public Assistance Cases

  • Parents who are receiving public assistance benefits (also known as TANF), Medicaid benefits, and/or foster care.

Non-Public Assistance Cases

  • Parents who do not receive public assistance.
  • Parents who live outside Douglas County Nebraska and in other states, but need services because the non-custodial parent lives here.

How can I apply for services in Douglas County Nebraska from Child Support Services?

  • Request an application by calling toll free 1-877-631-9937.
  • Complete the Non-public Assistance Application which is located on the "NPA Application" page of this website.
  • Visit or write a local child support office, locations can be found on the "Links" page of this website.
  • If you need child support help outside of Douglas County (Omaha) Nebraska, please see our "Links" page for other Nebraska offices or offices in other states.

Whom should I contact for answers about a child support case in Douglas County?

Customers can obtain general information about child support or about their specific case by phone:

  • Automated Payment Information: Automated responses regarding payment information are available by calling toll free 1-877--631-9973 (be sure to have your docket number available when you call). Choose option "1" and enter your county code (for example, Douglas county is "1"). The Automated Response Unit is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • Live Customer Service Specialists: Child Support Specialists are available toll free at 1-877-631-9973 between the hours of 8:00AM to 5:00PM, Monday through Friday (except state holidays). To obtain a live person, choose option "2" and enter your county code (for example, Douglas county is "1").
[an error occurred while processing this directive]